Songbirds ... a family blogs!

Songbirds ... a family blogs!

Samstag, 3. Oktober 2009

Learning about the past


...this is a great book we found in the library. All three kids like it because of the wonderful illustrations. Also it gives more insight about the seamen and discoverers we learnt about in a kidsfilm we recently watched. (Es war einmal...Abenteurer und Entdecker)
For Example we found out that really the first Europeans (recorded) that travelled to North America were Vicings. The sons of Eric the Red who had settled on Greenland travelled to the west and discovered Canada.

Also, I found this man very interesting:



He cycled around the world on this bike! Wow - how could he even ride it? Here's a Wikipedia-link to find out more: Thomas Stevens

We got ourselves busy, haven't we?
I decided to venture more into food-preservation lately. We got so much fruit and veg given I was anxious it would get spoiled. As it is organic garden produce I would find it even more sad to let it go to waste.
Therefore I made Chutneys, Applepuree, Applejam, Curried Courgette and I will also preserve beens, cauliflower and cabbage turnip.
I do have to admit that it is a lot of work! Our ancestors really had lots to do :-) ...but as it tastes much better than bought stuff and also there are no additives or preservatives present I think it is worth taking the time.


This is also a great book I can recommend: "Natürlich einmachen" by Anna Spreng and Margrit Bühler


* some of my jars. *

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen